Neutral

Thanks for all the replies about the autostick vs. T3 automatic.  I think my
question was not too clear.  I was really asking if the autostick needed to be
in neutral to start just like the T3 automatic.  I did know that the two
transmission were very different and not interchangeable.  The original
question was "Why do T3 autos only start in Neutral?"  I was just curious if VW
did the same for the Autostick.  Still need an answer to that one.  Jarhead,
what's the answer, since you have both?