Tow Bars?

Question for you all:

How are Type 3 tow bars set up to pull a car? Are they like a Beetle tow
bar that hooks on to the front axle?

I have a guy who's looking to buy my Fastback that supposedly has a
"Universal" tow bar. This is the term he used. But someone seemed to
tell him that it was set up to tow by that bumper and that it had to
have the proper braqueted bumper to use this tow bar. He seemed to say
that he couldn't use the tow bar on a bumper that had one of those shock
devices in it, like the ones that are on Super Beetles and Rabbits. To
my knowledge Type 3's never came with this type of bumper.

Am I wrong or just missing something here?

The only thing I think he could be getting mixed up on are those plastic
tin deals that are in the middle of the late Type 3 front bumpers. They
have the two cylindrical arms that go through the plastic sleeves on
each side of the spare in the front luggage compartment.

Does this make any sense whatsoever?

Please help?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
'71 Square
'72 Fast (For Sale-Nice!)
'83 Rabbit
'83 Rabbit Pick-Up

--
# Netscape POP3 State File
# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.