Re: Difference in heads

Oops... To James in Pahrump (the twin city of Las Vegas), I fibbed...

James, you have a '68 Type 3... and the cross member carrier wasn't
introduced until 1969.  So, I told you wrong...and I hope I didn't
cause you undue alarm.

Wrong again...Dang!  This happens to me every time I skip my Idiots Anonymous meeting
on Monday night!

I see no reason why your Type 1 or Type 2 case won't work just fine in
a Type 3 vehicle.  The only slight inconvenience will be that you probably can
not check/fill the oil from outside the vehicle, but will have to open the engine
compartment lid to do so.

As for the single port/dual port...VW went to the dual port engine sometime around
1971.  It apparently is a little more efficient because it has two openings (ports)
in the head, one for each cylinder, as compared to the one port serving both
cylinders in the previous design.  There is nothing wrong with having single port
heads as long as you realize that you must match the manifolds to the heads.

As to the Gene Berg trick oil temperature dipstick, I highly recommend having this
on the engine. The device slides down into your dipstick tube and hooks up to the
oil sensor with a single wire (all parts included).  If your oil temp rises to
220 to 225 degrees (James knows that this is just an average afternoon temperature
for Pahrump), your red light in your instrument panel will flicker.  It really
works!  I put one in my van ("Hitler's Revenge") and went nuts when it started
flickering during my ten-mile drive to town.  Checked my timing and found that it
was off enuff to cause the overheating.  Fixed it...and maybe saved an engine!

The part is extremely easy to install, BUT... be sure to read the directions
carefully and orient the device in the tube properly...or it won't do its job.

The Gene Berg part is:

    GB 227 (for Type 1, Type III with universal case that has the sedan dipstick
            tube in it, and Type II through 1971).  It costs $10.10 plus s&h.

The phone number for Gene Berg is (714) 998-7500.

Glad to see that you are plugging away, James, at doing your engine. If you ignore
my sometiems dubious advice, you will probably make even better progress...

Phil
dillard@suu.edu

TRUE STORY:  We here in the Southwest know that El Nino is doing strange things to
our weather.  Well, there lives in Las Vegas a gentleman named Al Nino, who,
it seems, has been receiving large quantities of email recently...telling him to
"knock it off".  Yeah, Al, do something about this dumb weather!