Re: Sway Bar

Depends on how you drive; how do you drive?

If you like taking corners faster than most people then you would benefit from
an after-market front anti-sway bar and stiffer rear torsion bars.  Since the
torsion bar replacement isn't an easy task the best would be to get a front sway
bar.  I found mine in JC Whitney and they are 19mm.  Remember, the T3 came with
a sway bar built in to the front torsion housing -- it's located in the upper
tube.

The anti-sway bar helps to keep the body from rolling when you turn the car.
Other items to consider to improve handling are:  Wider tires, low profile
tires, stickier tires, firmer torsion bars, firmer shocks, lower center of
gravity (lower the car), and rack and pinion steering (sorry, it's just a
conversion I'm thinking of :)

We are lucky (?) in that the engine is over the rear power wheels so we get
excellent weight transfer and maximum traction for cornering, much like our
Porsche 911 and 912 cousins (but we can *really* hold four people comfortably!).
 Of course, once the tires break traction that tail will really swing...(been
there, hated that :(  )

    Toby Erkson
    air_cooled_nut@pobox.com  <-- Please use this address for email responses
    '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
    '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member