engine spec's

Sorry this is one more question posed to Robert & Carolyn mostly.  I was
comparing the engine stats to an add in VW Trends/Hot VW and noticing
either the differences or briefness of the add with your stats.  I was
wondering what type of set-up you opted for, what extra's you added to
their base engine.  Also what's the lists thoughts on buying long blocks
or turn-key engines vice home rebuilds?  I'm just curious on personal
opinions and experiences with the end products not the labor involved.
And Robert & Carolyn, how is it holding up?
I know you speak of it doing 75mph easily.  How is such a large engine
keeping so cool?  Is it truely in the science of proper installment of
the stock cooling-it was only meant for 1600cc?  I remember our junk
yard bug with a Gene Berg 2180 and it would get HOT after a few runs,
we'd have to use the shop fan to cool it down.

sorry so long

charles
'69 fastback