Re: okay, i'm not going to be lazy anymore

There's a number of things it could be up front.  One is a bad outer
flywheel seal, that's easy to fix.  I had one replacement engine where
the flywheel o-ring hardened up and when the oil pressure went up at
high revs, like going up a hill, it leaked like a sieve.  Lost 6
quarts going from CA, to IA.  Also didn't do the clutch any good.
Funny, it still got 26 mpg with a slipping clutch(don't do this at
home, kids).  Finally, if your engine case is old and decrepit, you
could have the dreaded oil gallery crack behind #3.  The magnesium
case will crack there on older style cases, nothing you can do but
scrap the case.  You have to do an engine pull  and probably get the
flywheel off to look at any of the possibilities.  Welcome to the
air-cooled world.  Check the crank play while you have the flywheel
off, it's amazing what you'll find.