Re: Brake Problems !

John R. Zwicke wrote:
> Hello All,
>      My problem begins about a week ago, my 69 squareback  needed a
> conplete brake overhaul.
(snip)
> I was never able to obtain a solid brake pedal on the first pump.  It
> always took 2-3 pumps.
(snip)
> So now I'm back to square one...( and >unhappy )
> Any suggestions ....
>
> Thanks ,
>
> John Z
> 69 squareback
John Z- I know that this is somewhat of a sticking point with some folks
but....There is a clearance between the brake pedal push rod to the
master cylinder, if this is too great it'll leave the brakes spongy or
in need of two or three "pumps" to set up. My Haynes manual describes
the clearence of this as 1 mm for the rod before it contacts the bottom
of the recess in the piston. <1 mm, and the brakes will eventually lock
up from the pads contacting, >1 mm and it'll take a few pumps to
activate the brakes. There is a locknut behind the pedal assembly that
you can slacken and screw the rod in or out to make this adjustment.
Make sure the pedal assembly is tightened so that this clearance won't
change. Hope this helps,
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notchback
S. FL, USA