Re: [T3] Gimme a brake!

On 30 Dec 98, at 9:56, Dillard, Phil wrote:

> Approached a red stop light, pushed on brake pedal...and it went
> almost all the way to the floor with little resistance and no
> stopping power.  Nothing!  Zilch-a-roonie!  Nada-mundo!  If I had a
> life, it would have flashed before my eyes.
>
> Meanwhile, can someone kindly point out the culprit for me?  Why
> would the brake action fail suddenly and totally but then operate
> normally thereafter?

It is most likely that you have at least one wheel's brakes that are
dragging, overheating, boiling the fluid, and causing the brake fluid
to be replaced by very compressible brake fluid vapor.  To find the
culprit, drive around carefully a bit then stop and reach through the
slots on each wheel and touch each drum/rotor.  The one that burns
your finger is the culprit.

If you have a 67 or later with a tandem MC then this should only give
you a partial loss of brakes.  In earlier cars the loss is complete.
I don't remember what you have, but this sounds like an early car,
and now you know why the tandem cylinders are a good idea.

Jim