Re: [T3] Brake Caliper

Dave H. writes:
>The ones I got had flat piston retaining plates and weren't handed
>at all.  If the part numbers are ...107 and ... 108 separately, the
>... 107 is left-hand and the ... 108 is right-hand side.  I suspect
>they are ...107/8 and fit either side.  Look at the metal plate
>between the piston and the pads.  Does it fit in a notch in the
>piston?  If so, it must be installed so it's on the lower side.

The piston retaining plates are indeed flat, and there are no cut-outs in
the pistons.  The part # stamped on each box is "...107/108", which I
guess implies that they are intended to fit both sides.

The pads that come with the calipers are missing the groove that the OEM
pads had.  Around town, I can't find any pads with the groove cut in
them.  I can see two reasons for the groove: 1) to help shed cuttings
from the pads as they wear and 2) to help disperse water during braking.
 But with no groove, I get more brake pad area, which seems like a plus.
 Do I keep looking for the OEM style pads with the groove, cut my own
grooves with a hacksaw, or just not worry about it?
 -Mark
 Houston, TX