Re: [T3] rebuilding brakes

On 21 Dec 98, at 9:16, Toby Basiliko wrote:

> One thing I found,
> 	is that using "Brake Grease"(VW, anyone been able to find any this
> decade?) or "Brake assembly fluid" (Raybestos BAF-12, still available)
> to lube the rubber, and the metal outside the seal but covered by the
> boot, makes them last a LOT longer than using just brake fluid as a
> lube.  The assembly fluid acts as a rust-preventer on the bores...

I have some of the VW/ATe Brake Cylinder Paste and was not able to
tell that it did any particular good.  I used the BAF-12 for a few
years and really liked the way it lubricated the cylinder walls, but
I found that cylinders which I honed and then coated and put on my
shelf rusted badly.

I now use a very thin coat of Dow-Corning Silicone 200 Fluid [100,000
Centistokes Viscosity] as an assembly fluid and this has worked very
well for me.  I also exclusively use and recommend DoT-5 Silicone
Brake Fluid in any car that does not have ABS.

If anyone is interested in my FAQ on Silicone Brake Fluids, email me
for a copy.

Jim