Re: [T3] first and last wcm horror story

A  $.02 rant about the thread called "first and last wcm (or insert your
own favorite company here) story, just to play devils advocate for a
second, but I wanted to add a comment on the whole mail order gig. I'm
not a WCM cheerleader by any means, or any other mail order company for
that matter, but folks have to try and see things from the parts houses
POV for a minute. They're in it for the profit, plain and simple, so the
more people they can attract with promises the better. The only problem
is that stock on hand equals space which equals money. They would just
as soon attract you with tales of availibilty as then have the article
in hand. It costs a lot less to say they have your item and order it
from their source, then to have it laying around for years gathering
dust on the hope that one of us will pay dearly for it some day. They
benefit from selling you a part that they didn't have to keep in stock
and you benefit from not having to make 20 phone calls to chase down
that last trim piece. You have to admit that Type III's can be one of
the more esoteric models from VW, there aren't too many other models
with fewer beginning numbers or fewer remaining cars around (you Type
III Ghia people are real gluttons for punishment), just look at how much
is available for Type I's and II's. That's where the money is- where
there's the most demand. It has been my limited experience (20+ years of
VW's; 2 Beetles, 2 Squarebacks, and 2 Notches) that the best way to get
good parts the first time is to buy from a fellow fanatic, or hit the
yards for yourself or to go the shows with your part/description in hand
so that you can see what your buying. There are only a limited number of
NOS parts out here, the rest are all repros, and not always good ones at
that. An added bonus is that for the most part, the price is negotiable
at yards and shows too. The bottom line is caviat emptor, and remember
to most parts houses, you're just a dollar sign. Phew, that was too
long, where's my O2 tank?
David "been there, bought that, had to send it back" Walters
'73 1600 L Notchback
S. FL, USA