Re: [T3] FFFFRRRRUSTRATING brake problem!

Are you absolutely sure that the master cylinder is the correct one
for that year?  Brake system parts are one thing that VW did change
>from year to year on the TIII, might be a mismatch somewhere.  $700
seems rather steep, I did the same for a fraction of that, of course
it was my own labor.  Took a weekend to do it.  If you didn't do it
yourself, you really didn't know that it was done correctly, either.
Very few mechanics, foreign or otherwise, have the knowledge to work
on these beasts. The other thing is that I insist on getting the old
parts back.  If you had the old right caliper, you could swap it in
and see if that helped.  If it did, chances are you have a defective
caliper and you could take it back.  Probably too late now for that.
The trouble with "shotgunning" a whole system like that is that you
are never sure you've gotten the right part replaced and that you've
not introduced a new problem or problems.  You might try bleeding the
brakes again, too.  I use a bleeder gizmo that I got from the local
chain parts place, works great.  Basically a hose with a lock on one
end and a check valve on the other.  Lock it onto the bleeder valve,
crack it open, pump unitl the pedal feels solid and retighten.  No
chance of air getting sucked back in, either.