Re: [T3] Starting Problems

On 17 Dec 98, at 9:53, klruff1@mail.webspan.net wrote:

> Well now here is the new starting problem:  the
> car now has a harder time starting than it did before.  When the car sits for a
> few hours, when I crank it, it sort of kicks over, then instantly dies as if
> there is no fuel flow.  I can try to start a few more times and normally I get the
> same syptom.

You can get a friend to kneel down in front of your car and listen
for the fuel pump.  It is rather easy to hear from outside the car.
If it runs all the time you are starting and continues until about 1
second after the engine dies, then it is working correctly.  If the
pump stops first and then the engine dies you have a problem.

My guess is that the pump is working fine.

 Well I opted to do the unrecommended start up method and hit
> the gas peddle when she turned over (not recommended on FI cars), and she did
> then kick over with a puff or two (engine prob flooded slightly).

Does this succeed in starting the car?  If so, go for it.  No one
knows how best to start your car than you do.  There is nothing wrong
with doing it this way if it works, it just doesn't happen to work
the best for the majority of our cars.

Jim