[T3] FI Fuel Pressure Regulator Post Mortem

Keith Park was good enough to send me a Fuel Pressure Regulator which
had been sticking such that he had fuel pressure much too high when
he first started his car.  He speculated that it might have been
filled with some kind of crud (that's the scientific term) which kept
it from working properly.

I cut it apart in a lathe and found that there was nothing wrong with
it that I could see.  When I cut through the rolled over seal, the
unit burst apart, scattering its guts everywhere.  I was lucky enough
to find everything except the spring.  Serves me right; I was just
wondering if I should set up the tailstock to restrain the parts when
it cut through.  I spend more time searching for parts than I would
have spent doing it right in the first place.

There were no extreme accumulations of any kind on the fuel side of
the diaphram.  There was quite a bit of corrosion on the air side, so
I suppose that if Keith had his problems in freezing weather there
might have been water here.  That COULD have produced his symptoms.

I found the inside construction to be more complicated than I
expected.  The regulating valve consisted of a steel tube end with a
polished surface and a facing steel polished plate which is swivel
mounted with a spring to take up any free play.  All the parts were
still in good shape, although the diaphram shows its age.  I assume
that exposing one side of the diaphram to gasoline will probably
soften it up.

If this regulator had been out of service for a long time it is
possible that Keith's problems had to do with the dried out diaphram.
That seems a little unlikely since the diaphram is thin and should
have come into equlibrium with the gasoline in a couple of days or
less, and I suspect that it took Keith more time than that to find
the source of his problem.

So, Keith, would you like to have your parts back so you can see what
they look like?

Jim