[T3] Help! I don't want to have to sell my square...

Okay, so i just finished rebuilding the engine (top end) on my '67 square,
got it going and took it out for a cruise today.  After only an hour of
driving around, my girlfriend and I got totally nauseaous, had awful
headaches and just wanted to go to sleep... talk about CO poisoning!
It didn't run too well for that matter.  It barely loped along until the
RPM's got to 900-1000, then it would catch, and finally have some power.
The heater's not hooked up, but I don't have any carpeting over the engine
compartment hatch.  What could it be? - over rich carbs (stock dual
solexes)? leaking engine compartment seal?  leaking heater boxes?  Maybe I
just need a new rubber mat in the cargo area?

I am soooo bummed out.  I just want to puke right now, and after three
weeks of working on this thing after work at night, I just feel like
giving up.

My got I have got the worst headache I have EVER had.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eduardo