Re: [T3] T3] cold weather idle

On 8 Dec 98, at 11:48, oofacts@earthlink.net wrote:

> >It sounds like either your chokes aren't working, or adjusted, (are they
> >partly closed when the engine is cold?) or you aren't "setting" the fast
> >idle by pressing down the throttle when you start.  This allows the idle
> >stop screw to step up on the fast idle cam.
>
> I have the same problem myself, although I suspect this is because I have
> dual webers (ICT 34), which have no choke, so first thing in the AM all
> Dorka gets at 1st is an inhale of cold air.

I'm on soft ground here as I have little experience with carbs.  My
understanding is that the Webers sold for VWs don't have chokes, so
they don't have fast idle cams either.  They have no accomodation for
cold weather, which was fine with Muir bEĦU£e hated chokes.  Of
course he writes about taking your VW to Mexico also, but never
mentions what you might want to do to take your VW to the Canadian
Rockies on a winter ski trip.

What you have in the Webers is a nice carb that is very adjustable,
but is really a racing carb not really a year round daily driver
carb.  This seldom gets mentioned by the people who sell these.

As to how best to start your car:  After long years of experience I
think I can safely say that no one knows better than the owner how to
get his car started.  In this case, you're the owner, so if you say
this is what it takes, I say that this must be so.  Just be sure to
understand that the next Weber carbed type 3 you meet is likely to be
different.

Jim

Jim