[T3] Tired Motor and a Long Trip

In a few weeks I plan to drive from Houston, TX to San Francisco, CA
(about 2,000 miles) in my '70 manual transmission, dual Solex carb
Fastback.  Since I got the car last Spring, I have put about 8,000
in-town freeway miles on it.  I keep it tuned, and it has never left me
stranded.  When I got the car, I had to replace the fuel pump, most of
the fuel lines, voltage regulator, generator, battery, plugs and wires,
distributor (009) and coil.  Mostly a stock set-up, except for the 009, I
guess.  I also overhauled the carbs.  Brakes and tires are good.  My
current gas mileage is around 25 to 27 mpg, which seems about right.  It
will cruise nicely at 65-70 mph--maybe even higher.  With high-octane
fuel, I don't get any pinging, and the motor sounds OK.

But I'm afraid the motor is getting tired.  I add about a quart of oil
every 300-400 miles.  WAy excessive, right?  I figure it must be burning
the oil somehow--although I don't notice any blue smoke.  (I don't know
how that can be).

I don't have time to tear the motor down and rebuild it, so what can I do
to be reasonably sure that my car will get me to my destination without
the motor giving up?  Inspections, tests, procedures, ...?

I do need to lubricate the front end and wheel bearings and change out a
CV boot.  I'll also add that the motor is missing the thermostat and
associated flap linkage.  Please help to ease my mind.

Thanks,
Mark
Houston, TX