Re: [T3] Fuel Pump

On 7 Dec 98, at 15:48, Robert Braun wrote:

> wasn't getting fuel to the engine... pulled out the gas tank.... took the
> outlet bolt thingy off.... the filter should Ke	Ãe with it but it
> didn't.. it got stuck in the hole... the filter was clogged with probably
> a 1/8 ounce of rust dust and chunks.... along with the bolt hole thing....
> and the bottom of the tank is covered in goop... gonna have the tank
> bolied... someone on this list suggested that.... put the tank back in....
> hooked it all up but left the fuel level sensor off to look in
> tank....(will this cause some pressure problem)

It's good that you cleaned the screen.  There's no problem in leaving
the sensor off the tank so you can watch; just don't try to drive it
that way;-)

You don't mention the in-line filter; fuel under the pressure of
gravity only should run out the far end of the filter as fast as if
there were only hose there.

> whinning... but no gas..  Took the outlet line off the pump... (the middle
> line right?) turned the key on... nothing came out... felt outlet... no
> pressure... or suction for that matter.... and the pump continued to
> whine.... Last time I had taken the pump head off to clean it because it
> didn't even whine at the time... cleaned all tarnish out put back the
> o-rings... (boy that was tough) and then it whined.... when I took it off
> this last time I noticed that I had bolted it on wrong.. .I had it turned
> a quarter turn off.... but I fixed that.... and still no outlet...

I have never had much luck getting pumps to pump after either I or
anyone else had taken them apart.  There may actually be some rather
critical settings there, and certainly there are SEVERAL ways to put
them back together wrong, and only one right way.

Make sure your filter is clear.  Make sure you have 12V at the pump
power connector.  If there is no whine, then the motor is not turning
and it is premature to worry about why there is no gas coming out.
You can try taking the head off the pump and trying to run the motor
then.  Check continuity through the pump with an Ohmmeter.

I have occasionally had pumps that got dirt in their brushes and
wouldn't make contact.  Someü\ŠLIGHT hammer tap on the side will
loosen them up.  Do this with the power on so it can start turning if
things shake loose.

Jim