Re: [T3] Oil additives?

On 5 Dec 98, at 18:50, Naomi teWinkel wrote:

> I keep noticing oil additives like Slick-50 that claim to reduce friction
> and wear in the engine. They're supposed to last over oil changes too - I
> sortof remember a commercial where they pulled the oil drain plug while
> the engine was running (after they had added the additive) and it kept
> running. Are these things any good? Has anyone tried these?

I'm skeptical of most of these kinds of ads.  To me they all fall
into the category of being too good to be true.  I have no personal
experience with Slick 50 except for one customer who was talked into
a full crankcase of it at the tune of $6/qt.  That falls into the
catefory of the Sophomore Theorem: "If some is good, more is better"
which is almost never true.

Another way to look at this is to look at the what it costs Ford and
GM each year when their CAFE (Corporate Average Fleet Economy) gas
mileage numbers don't quite measure up to the Federal requirements.
If they could squeeze just 1 more mi/gal out of each car by this kind
of approach it would save them millions of dollars a year.  They
would do it.  The fact that they don't is proof that it doesn't work,
since any reduction in friction will show up immediately in improved
gas mileage, as well as reduced engine wear.

Jim