Re: [T3] Gas milage

On 4 Dec 98, at 8:30, Carl Van Tonder wrote:

> Jim, I have recently measured an average of 30.8 m/g for the past month
> with my "new" motor (1200 miles now). The old, now deceased motor gave me
> 28.5m/g at 280K I am in South Africa thus it should be summer now
> (yesterday it was 10'C), and we don't get much wind in these parts
> (Johannesburg). The car is a stock 1600 single port with twin solex carbs,
> and a freeflow. I am using 93 octane fuel (the only leaded fuel available
> here) and the old oil based air filter. I only drive the car to work and
> back (approx. 20 miles) so it drives in the morning and afternoons. I have
> spoken to friends who get 32 - 36m/g as a average consumption on there
> beetles. The fastback being the longer car should do better (but which one
> is the heavier one)

Thanks, this sounds like real data, carefully taken.  It is probably
correct for a 1600 SP dual carb engine, and confirms that the
earlier, carbed versions could get better gas mileage than the FI.
Since the FI was introduced to control emissions, and this has always
come at some cost in gas mileage, this is all reasonable.

Both body styles are the same length, the squareback is heavier, and
there is some reasonable debate on which is more aerodynamic.

Jim