Re: [T3] 73 Front Brakes on a '70

Type 36 with 4 piston calipers
Bleeding the brakes
The system can be bled either by pumping the pedal or by using a
pressure bleeding appliance.  The correct sequence is as follows:

1 - Right rear wheel cylinder.
2- Left rear wheel cylinder.
3- Right caliper, outside (bleeder screws 1 and 2).
4- Right caliper, inside (bleeder screw 3).
5- Left caliper, outside (bleeder screws 1 and 2).
6- Left caliper, inside (bleeder screw 3).

ASCII rendition of bleed nipple layout (picture shows left-hand
caliper), looking at pad spreader spring:-

  1
4 2         3  5
                   6

(6 is the lowest one and 1 sticks upwards;  not sure if the
right-hand caliper is identical, but it must be obvious or they
would show both as they do for the K70).

Note
The screws 4, 5 and 6 are only for brake fluid changing and must not
be opened when bleeding the brakes.

Changing brake fluid

1 - Pump fluid out through bleeder screws in rear wheel cylinders.
2 - Open screws 4, 5 and 6 on both front wheels and pump out more
fluid,
3- Open screws 1, 2 and 3 and leave them open until fluid no longer
drips from screws 4, 5 and 6.
Put new fluid in and bleed system as explained above.

Source:  VW Factory Workshop Manual, 1969 edition (Supplement 8/72)
Brakes, Wheels, Tires, Hand and Foot Controls.  (VW 'God' to us!)

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
www.hallvw.clara.net/