Re: [T3] How do you go so fast?

At 4:46 PM -0600 12/2/98, John Jaranson wrote:

>I have a bit of fuel (soory for the pun) to add to the fire.  I
>have a very bad copy of a microfiche article from the June 1968
>Motor Trend that compares the then new Chevy II to the new FI 68
>VW Fastback.  It was a fuel eceonmy comparison that was requested
>by a CA Chevy dealer who thought his new Chevy II's would beat
>the VW.  The results:
>
>			 VW		Chevy
>Average MPG		39.07		28.92
>Best MPG		45.21!!!!	33.10
>High Speed MPG		30.00		17.45

	Great article!  I love it.  If I chase down the copyright, I'd put
a copy on the Web.

	This was a run, I believe, from San Francisco to Reno NV & back (or
similar).  That "best" mpg, as I recall, was in a predominantly *downhill*
stretch.

	Me?  Stock '71 (165/15 tires, f.i. engine, manual transmission,
etc.) w/ four-into-one single quiet pack, chickened out at an indicated
90mph (or was it a bit over?).  I'm sure it's only faster now with the back
seat out & all of that "unnecessary" metal that's been oxidized away... it
did an easy (indicated) 80mph keeping up with traffic with oomph to spare a
coupla months ago.  Kindofa freaky thing to do w/ the rustout so close to
the seatbelt mount... :-o

	Strange, as the years pass, I don't really have the desire to see
if I can peg the speedo... even took off the anti-sway bars a year or two
ago!

-Greg "call me a wimp" Merritt