RE: [T3] Upright engine in a T3

On 1 Dec 98, at 16:40, James MacNaughton wrote:

> Ahh, but, could you get by?  If you mounted the generator a la T3, and
> just left the gen stand in place, so you could add oil that way?  I'm just
> trying to think from the poor guys' standpoint.  You might have to leave
> the engine cover off (noisy and dirty), but if he had to get to work... ?
> I've been there (with a T1), and it ain't no fun.  I had to take a motor
> that had dropped #3, and scrape the bigger chunks of metal out of the
> bottom of the case, swap out *a* piston and jug, one junkyard head with
> new valves (and old springs) (lapped), and proceed to drive the poor
> Frankenstein for like 8 months.  Little single port 1600 on a bone stock
> 68 T1. It ran, but it took lots of ingenuity, as I was working part time
> type hours, and had *no* cash. *I* would rather it was rebuilt correctly,
> but if the guys' in a bind?

I'm sympathetic too, but once he understands that there is little
reason to follow this course, perhaps he will start to look for a
cheap used T3 engine out there that he could throw in.  They are out
there, you just need to understand that they are different and well
worth the hassle of looking for them.  It will be both less work and
more useful in the long run to do this than to throw in the easy
short-term solution and then go crazy for the next three months
trying to make it work.  Cheaper, too.

The only reason to do otherwise is that it's the first thing that
people who don't know type 3s think of.

Jim