Re: [T3] How do you go so fast?

In a message dated 12/02/1998 11:48:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JMac@uglyduckling.com writes:

<< I have never seen a stock air-cooled VW do better than about 87 mph >>

My 1970 Beetle with a worn out 1600 single-port would do 90 mph, The
compression on the highest cylinder was 80 and the lowest was 30. Don't know
how it did it but it did. I got busted by radar enough times to know that my
speedo was accurate also.
When I put a 1641 in it, it would do 110 and cruise at 100. It had stock
crank, rods, case, lifters etc. Had aftermarket headers, carbs, distributor,
and cam with 041 heads with 39 X 32 valves. Would do 30 in 1st, 55 in 2nd and
85 in 3rd. Had that engine in two different bugs and it ran great until the
flywheel came loose and tore up the crank. The flywheel coming loose was my
fault due to a moment of stupidity.(I had to replace the clutch because it
twisted the center out of the clutch disc and put a wrong gasket in between
the flywheel and crank which didn't let the nut torque down all the way)
Sorry if I seem long winded or like I'm bragging, but that was the first
engine I ever built (about 12 years ago) and am very proud of it and I wanted
to explain what happened to it so some wouldn't think that it self-destructed.
VWs can go fast and do it reliably providing it's done right.

David
71 Squareback