[T3] Fuel pump valve

We had this happen in about 1965 on a 1500S; it partially filled up
a cylinder when parked nose up on a steep slope with full tank.
Fortunately my father didn't try bump-starting when the starter
couldn't turn the engine over, but dropped it back out of the drive
onto level road.  After standing a while, it started no trouble.
The service manager later showed him a bent con-rod caused when
someone else had tried bump-starting in this situation.

The twin carbs up to July 64 don't appear to have the cut-off valve.
I understood they brought in the idle cut-off valve after that to
stop it, but maybe the special fuel valve (listed for all 1500S twin
carb engines) was a quick solution.  Interesting.

The PHN32 single carb appears to have the idle cut-off valve from
the start; it's in the carb top, suggesting it cuts the fuel off.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
www.hallvw.clara.net/