Re: [T3] Engine Swap; more dumb questions...

On 1 Dec 98, at 11:06, erich hildebrandt wrote:

> O.K., So I'll strip the T-1 engine to the short block & put my T-III stuff
> on it. This WILL work, right?.....but what about A) the hanger factor; how
> do I tell if the ( non-original ) engine in my Beetle has a " universal
> case " with out pulling it ? can the case be machined to accept the bolts
> ? B) what do I do about the oil filler?

Please don't even try.  The odds against a universal case are a
million to one.  There will be no place for the hanger and no way to
attach the dipstick.

> as opposed to " the right way".( ie; towing it to a
> shop with a blank check....must be nice)

The "right way" is to do your homework and do the work yourself.  You
can probably do a pretty good stock rebuild for less than $1000 (even
including tools and sending some parts to RIMCO) IF you are
mechanically competent and willing to study the books and ask
questions.  You should also plan on this taking several months.

Remember: no one cares as much about your car as you do.

Jim