Re: [T3] Brake Bleeding

>snip<
>There's a lot of misinformation out there.  Even the water cooled
>Bentley manuals warn not to use DoT 5 in those cars.  There is
>however no basis for this warning.  I have put it in dozens of such
>cars.  Dow Corning has put it in hundreds.  The materials involved
>are the same and the silicone fluid is better for them than the DoT 3
>or 4.  Understand that there is NO point in installing anything other
>than PURE DoT 5
.>snip<
>In any case, installation of Dot 5 requires special understanding,
>techniques, and skills.

Well, the need for special understanding, techniques and skills sounds
like one  good reason to stick with glycol-based fluids.   Another is
that there is very good DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 fluid out there that will
exceed the performance requirements of any of you.

DOT 5.1 is fluid with the same chemical basis of DOT 3 & 4, but which
meets the performance requirements of DOT 5.  Sure, it's hygroscopic, but
this helps keep water from collecting in low points of the system, if the
fluid is changed periodically.  I understand that Ford (remarkably
enough) sells an excellent "heavy duty" DOT 4 brake fluid.

In my experience, when multiple sources warn against something like this,
there is *some* basis for it.  Until I understand that basis fully, I'm
reluctant to ignore it.

Chris Stoddard
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]