RE: [T3] VWT carb conversion article!

Jamie,

You've missed my point. My point is not that carburators are better than
F.I., but the reality is that they are a reliable solution for many that
are not able to or willing to learn how to trouble shoot and repair the
stock F.I. system. As much as we would like to believe that hailing the
virtues of Bosch Jetronics is going to convert all the carburator minded,
it just isn't going to happen. Meanwhile, there are plenty of Type 3 owners
out there for whom the Weber 34 ICT is going to mean the difference between
continuing to maintain and drive the thing, or giving it to the local hulk
hauler for an early demise.

I disagree with your comment that carbs never stay in sync and require
continuous adjustment. There is no reason why properly designed, jetted,
and installed carburators require syncronizing and adjusting any more
frequently than tune-up time unless your linkage is shot and the carbs have
worn throttle shafts and idle jet screws, in which case you really do need
NEW or rebuilt carburators because they will never adjust properly. As for
my own preferences, I would much rather have a F.I. motor than carbs, which
is why I am in the middle of a de-carburatorization transplant myself. Why?
Because I know how to do it.

Perhaps someone on the list has the knowldege, interest and time to
freelance a series of tech articles on Bosch Jetronic systems and promote
their publication, as a possible solution to the woes of advertiser-driven
magazine articles.

>Quite to the contrary, Nathan, carburetors are going the way of the
>horse and buggy.  Their days are numbered.   It behooves each of us who
>owns an FI car to keep it and fix what ail your car.  Don't immediately
>trash it because everybody says FI sucks.  It just isn' t true.  VW
>engineers are smart guys and gals.  Give them the benefit of the doubt.
>FI is great.  Gives smooth power, great fuel economy and reliability.
>Like all things mechanical, it requires periodic maintenance and
>repairs.
>
>Dual carbs never stay in sync and require coninuous adjustment.  They're
>dirty and this technology is over 100 years old.
>
>Jaime

Nathan Jacobsen
jacobsen@foxinternet.net