[T3] converting to a 12 volt

Hello, I want to convert my 66 squareback to a 12 volt, and would like
to do it myself both to bond with my beautiful car and to save money.
However I have no idea how to do it or what it involves. So some help
would be verry nice, also do you think it would be that much cheaper
to do it myself, rather than having it done in some shop. Thanks in
advance.Travis