Re: mystery tapping, new motor

MikeS=> brand new stock 1776 motor ... really big hill ... all of the
=> sudden a lot of loud tapping! ... about 50 km on before I came home.

You're sure the tapping was coming from the engine, right? This sounds
an awful lot like what happened to me with about 500 miles on my 1641.
For my money you've spun a rod bearing. I would advise you plan on
another ride for your cross-country trip. Dump the oil, remove the oil
screen plate and screen. Coppery flakes around the screen will confirm a
bearing problem. (Incidentally, a 1776 is a long way from stock.)

This seems like a good opportunity to collect the list's wisdom on
break-in procedures. Before we took it out of the garage, we ran mine at
2000rpm with non-detergent oil for half an hour to seat the lifters.
Change to running oil. Then the plan was to drive it in town, keeping it
under 3000rpm, for 500 miles. Change oil and repeat. At 1000 miles begin
normal driving. Change oil again at 2000 miles, and carry on normally.

I departed from this plan after the first oil change and got on the
highway at about 500 miles. I didn't let it go over about 3200rpm, but
that first big hill did me in. I can't be sure that the problem was
inadequate break-in, but I'll be more careful with it next time.

What's *your* break-in procedure?

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 343