Re: [T3] Type 3 front torsion arm replacement and bushes/needle

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:34:46 +0000, you wrote:

>>    My front end is riding on the bump stops and there is no spring
>> when the front is pushed down, but when you pull up on the bubper
>> bar the front end seems to stay at that height until you push it
>> down, I'm pretty sure its the torsion bars, could it be anything
>> else.
>
>Sounds like sticky shocks.  Ths torsion bars hold the wheels in place
>laterally so you would quickly know if one of them was truly broken.
>
>> Also if the  needle bearings need to be replaced are there now
>> replacement urathane bushes that replace the needle bearings and do
>> they require any special fitting into the axle beam. And taking out
>> the old bushes do you need special tools.
>
>Your OE bearing are PROBABLY fine, but they could be destroyed if you
>drive with broken torsion bars for long since the bearing races would
>be out of place.
>
>Jim
>-
Well guys Thr torsion arms were not broken , they were either sagged
or someone had lowered the casr before , but the cars been in the
family for 20 years , also I cant rember when the problem appeard , my
dad drives the car. Anyway yesterday I moved the bars up a notch It
looks ok now I might have to move it up another later if it still
botoms out .

Thanks
Thomas