[T3] aaaarrggggggghhhh

hi all,

i have a '72 squareback which is having some problems..arrrghhhhhh(vern
pulls more hair out at this stage).

about 2 weeks ago,i tuned the car,put an extraxter style exhaust on it and
cleaned everything up(engine out).
when i started driving last week,the car would sometimes stall when i came
to a stop and wouldnt start again.it seemed that this only happened when the
motor had been used for 20 mins or so.when it cooled down,the car started
ok.

so i changed the coil and leads.last weeken the problem was still there.i
then changed the condenser and this fixed the starting problem.(the
condenser is 2nd hand and the dizzy is a 009)

last nite i got off the motorway and filled up with gas.the car wouldnt
start again.i had been driving for about 15ins on the
motorway...aaaarrggghhhh.....we gave the car a push and it started.we went
down the road and stopped,the car didnt want to idle properly and stalled.we
had to push again to start it.

we had to move a beetle so i asked my friend to drive the square and i drove
the beetle.on the motorway i had my windows down and when my friend put his
foot on the pedal the car seemed to have a backfire with blackish smoke
coming out.we got off the motorway and pulled in to a gas station,and my
friend turned the engine off.we stayed there for 10 mins and the car
restarted ok.

later we came back on the motorway and did some tests.we found that the car
only seemed to give a light backfire when the accelerator was pushed to the
floor.there is a slight miss at low revs when the accelerator is pushed.

so,this has left me completely baffled.sorry this message is long but we
cant work this peoblem out.the car is a bone stock 1600cc with the usual
solex carbs etc.the carbs have been balanced by a pro.

it also has a starter button conversion which i guess is fairly common
place.

the power wire to the coil is hanging on by 4 strands so i'll change that
today.

so can someone help on this one please............

thanks
vern

(trying to daily drive a square)