From: jadney@vwtype3.org <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date: 20 August 1998 22:32
Subject: Re: [T3] positive camber

>  Front camber can be changed by adjusting the ball joints.  When
was
> the last alignment done?

The lowers have to be left with the notches pointing forward.
Adjust
the uppers only.

>  Speaking of alignments (and changing the subject), I always think
> twice before having a shop do any work on a VW -- around here
nobody
> knows about them, and they do ridiculous things like jack them up
in
> the wrong places.  (I don't even let tire places touch my car; I
> carry in the tires and rims!)   Do folks find that alignment shops
> treat your car well?  I would think that the Type III ball joint
> adjustment would be similar to other modern cars, and that most
> shops would do just fine.  True?  Any horror stories?

You have to study the Bentley manual and go in well informed.  They
will know nothing about your car.  They can operate their equipment,
you need to watch carefully and provide the advise as to what needs
to be adjusted and how.

Note that toe-in must be adjusted on BOTH sides until the steeering
wheel is centered.  They will tell you that you just need to adjust
one side and then remove and install the steering wheel
horizontally.
The steering gearbox HAS a center position; starting sometime in 69
VW started marking it.  Don't assume your wheel is installed
correctly.  Read the Bentley.  It is complete and clear on this
subject.

Yes, this is just another area frought with difficulty when others
work on your car.  I have had VW dealerships in the EARLY 70s that
did not understand any of this!  {and it applies equally to bugs,
too.}

Jim
-
Jim Adney