RE: [T3] Large engines in daily driven t-3's

Dan, my baby fits that category.  2003cc, 8:1 compression and carbed (see my
web
page for details).  I driver her *daily* (and more if I could :)

The compression seems to be one of the major heat generators.  It's my
understanding that you can build a large, driveable motor provided you keep
the
compression low.  Of course, lowering the compression will result in a
decrease
of power.

Bigger engines are not alike, mostly because parts and specifications become
more varied.  How displacement is generated (bored/stroked), the huge
variety of
cams, the metals used in various parts (aluminum, steel, iron, chromoly,
titanium, etc.), where you want the power band to be, how the car is to be
driven, and on and on.  I don't have an engine temp gauge but I do have my
oil
pressure gauge and I have found it to be VERY informative, much more than
just
an engine temp gauge.

My engine doesn't overheat (no smoke or burning metal smell), but she does
get
hotter than normal.  Yeah, if I lowered my compression the heat problem
*may*
just go away but I don't want to loose the power, so I drive knowing.

Go for what you want, take in what others say and evaluate it, but don't
take
their word as God unless you are going to build an engine EXACTLY like
theirs
(even then be reserved).  You will get lots of varying answers, trust me, I
know!  Get an engine builder you feel you can trust, who listens to you and
answers your questions -- even after the build -- and DON'T GO FOR CHEAP, GO
FOR
LASTING QUALITY!
   Toby "am there, doing that" Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member