From: Stan Schaefer <stans4@ix.netcom.com>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date: 19 August 1998 15:48
Subject: Re: [T3] Polarizing & Steering Box

That hole exists to pull the shift rod out of the tunnel(and put it
back). The rod's about 3-4' long and there just isn't clearance any
other way.   Should have a round cover plate with a big washer on
the
back to hold the plate in position, see the torsion bar covers on
the
rear fenders, same parts.  Mine were rust-chewed, got some decent
ones
off wrecks.