RE: [T3] compresion

Compression does vary amongst the years.  A good shop manual will give them
you.  There is no such thing as an 'ideal compression' as it depends upon
the
given engine (more compression = more torque & hp [and heat]).

The compression ratio is a numerical explanation of how much the maximum
volume
one cylinder has.  When the piston is at the top of its stroke, where the
volume
in the cylinder is the least, this volume representation is denoted as 1,
the
number found on the right side of the expression (number:1).  Now, when the
piston is at the bottom of its stroke the volume that the cylinder contains
is
more.  So, you take that first small volume and see how many times it takes
fill the current volume -- basically you'd be dividing the big volume by the
small volume and the result is the number on the left of the expression
(7.6:number).  I'm not sure why the right number, the 1, is still used as
every
compression ratio I've seen for a car/truck uses the number 1 but it's
probably
just a holdover from days gone by -- maybe Jim could tell us...bawhahaha,
just
givin' you a hard time, Jim ;)

Compression can be changed by piston size, cylinder size, head size
(cylinder
heads, silly, not ego!), stroke, turbo or supercharging aspiration, and
spacers
between the heads and cylinders (to give less compression).

Low compression doesn't mean the engine will burn oil if it was designed as
low compression engine.  You are confusing a compression check to cylinder
compression.  The compression ratio will not change for an engine as it's a
measurement of volume, however, the compression as measured in Pounds per
Square
Inch (psi) can vary, say by going low if the rings are worn or a valve is
burned.

Yes, generally a higher compression engine requires a higher octane than a
lower
compression engine.  This is to help reduce detonation (the sudden
explosion,
not burning, of the fuel mixture in the cylinder).  Remember, even a low
compression engine can use a high octane fuel without harm.

You may notice that non-naturally aspirated engines, like turbos and
superchargers, have a low compression ratio.  But when the turbo or
supercharger
starts "kicking in" they will be pumping more fuel mixture into the cylinder
and
effectively increasing the compression ratio.  Nitrous oxide (NO) engines
can
keep their stock compression ratio but when the NO kicks in the compression
ratio will increase.

   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member