[T3] 71 Notch tales and show report

We had a great vw weekend.  We drove the 71 Notch way over 300 miles and it
performed flawlessly.  The thing does damn near 75 on the freeway at about
3300 RPM's.  We actually kept up with LA 405 traffic.

On Saturday we went to the Familian fest at the Deer Park Winery in Escondido,
CA.  This show was put on by Strictly Vintage II's (bus club) so weren't
expecting much of a T3 Turnout, but something very strange happened.  We
pulled in and the only T3's there were Notchbacks, 5 of them all together
including ours.  No squares or fastys at all.  Over all it was a great show.
very family oriented and so many nice people.

We paid an extra $3 to park on the grass cuz we were geeked about having a
late model Notchback and there were a LOT of people who asked "what year is
that?" with bewildering looks on their face and once the big turn signals and
non slanting hood set in and  they realized they'd never seen a late model
Notch before they were actually impressed.  Of course we also appealed to the
"it's still not low enough" crowd because we mowed the grass while heading to
our parking spot.  The thing almost scrapes on the lane dividers on the
freeway so I think it's low enough.  We're gonna get it raised up a notch soon
so we can feel a bit better about driving it and so we're not grinding away
this tie down looking thing attached to one of the suspension arms.  (looks
like they tied it down to the boat with this thing).  Was really a great show
though, we have a bus too so we were excited.

On Sunday we went to the Jamboree at the Orange county fair grounds.  Man, let
me tell you, this was the epitome of cheezy VW car show.  Bikini contest and
everything.  They even had an engine blow that lasted oh, all of about 15
seconds.  Pissed me off to see them blow up a perfectly rebuilt 2 liter motor.
The announcer was terrible and there were enough "shaved, tucked and rolled
cars" to last me a life time.  Several T3's, most a little too custommm for my
liking (bright purple notch, yellow, purple, blue square, etc...)  There were
some nice cars though. A Beautiful black notch and an unrstored 67 square that
was totally original.  I also saw the $12,995 Square that I posetd about a few
weeks ago.  was nice looking, but no where near $13,000 nice.  Just 50 feet
away was a nice blue 64 Notch with the one wheel trailer (magazine car) for
$12,000.........it was probably worth it.  I'll have pics soon.

There were also more water cooled cars than air cooled which I thought was
interesting.  I have a 92 slightly modded GTi so that was fun too.  The swap
meet was pretty lame too.  not much to look at.  We picked up a few things
though.  A rear "volkswagen" emblem to replace the one off the Notch and a NOS
late model front emblem.  We also bought an antenna for the Notch cuz it
doesnt have one.  Oh and one cup of beer (12 oz) for $3.50.

So over all it was an awesome weekend.  Familian fest was cool.  Jamboree
SUCKED.......SO far from what VW's should be about that it wasnt even
funny.......and I noticed that there were some "regulars" that we see at
pomona and other locals shows that were absent.....I guess they'd been there
before.  next wear we'll know better.

Matt

71 Square
71 Notch