[T3] Valves, Distributor, Muir and Bentley

Its actually not as complicated as the subject title. The question is: Muir
says to set the valves at .006", cold, at TDC. A couple months ago I did
this. According to Muir's version of TDC. Not too long ago, I discovered
TDC was the 2nd, not the 1st, notch in from the left on my engine. Hmm. I
thought. I should reset the valve clearance for TDC as I now know it. Then
I thought, Well, How do I know where cylinder # 2 is then? Muir says its at
the leftmost of the bridged three-teeth section, 180 from the TDC mark. But
if my TDC mark is in a bit from where Muir said it is, then I should move
in a bit on the three-tooth bridged section. But how much in?

So I checked Bentley. Bentley says to set valve clearance for #1 when the
rotor for the distributor is in #1 position. Uh oh, now wait a minute. I
just timed my distributor and because of my distributor #1 fires a little
before 7.5 BTDC. Bentley says nothing about the notches in the engine and
only mentions that with the distrib pointing to #1, cyl. 1 will be "almost
at TDC" .  7.5 - 8.5 BTDC seems like quite distant from "almost" TDC to me,
and I spent a good two hours trying to think my way through the basic
principles of the engine to figure out where to set my valve clearances.

So my questions are: 1) Do I set my valves at where #1 is on the
distributor WHEN ITS PROPERLY TIMED? Therefore, should I always be sure my
timing is right before setting my valve clearances? Or do I set them at 0
TDC as the engine marks them, and therefore since my car has notches at -5,
0, +5, 7.5 for cyls #1 &3, how do I accurately (or close enough, if thats
good enough) know where 2 and 4 are?

2) For anyone who has the time: Why? This applies especially if valve
clearance should be set according to distributor fire, because I'm not sure
why if I have a distrib thats set at 7.5 BTDC I should set valves there,
and if I get a new distrib thats set hypothetically at 0 TDC I should set
valves there. Whats the mechanics of it? Shouldn't the cylinder always be
at it's peak? I dont get it.

Looking forward to some good answers to this. Hope the questions are clear
enough.

Thanks alot for all your help and support folks, have a good trip Jim.
Still didnt get a chance to study my fuel hoses yet.

Mike