Re: [T3] My battery's trapped...and it can't get out.

On 14 Aug 98, at 9:06, Rick Fluck wrote:

> The latch that operates the rear seat, allowing the seat to open, and
> allowing access to the battery compartment, is missing, or inside the
> compartment with the battery+ADs- so my question is, how in the world do I
> release the latch, allowing the rear seat compartment to open without
> having the operating mechanism?

I assume you are asking about the seat bottom.  Starting in very late
71, there was a clear (now yellowed) release strap added to release
the rear seat bottom.  This release strap came up out of the seam at
the upper rear of the cushion; there is about an inch there with no
stitches.

Your best bet is to find someone else with a 72-3 that you can
inspect VERY carefully, hopefully have side by side with your car.
Once you figure out what this strap was connected to you can reach
down through your seam and snag it with a wire hook and release the
seat.

There is, however, another possibility.  I have seen the seat belts
get caught in the catch mechanism.  In this case the seat is not
actually latched down, instead it is just jammed.  All you need to do
to release it is to get your hand down between the seat bottom and
back until you can grab the rear edge of the seat botton firmly.
Then give it a good hard yank and it may just pop up.

Jim