Re: [T3] still won't idle....

In a message dated 8/13/98 3:39:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

> > '69 f.i., AT.
>  > timing set.
>
>  Is it correctly set to TDC?

for $50, i hope so.....

>It may be running lean and overheating, but I wouldn't blame it on
>the fuel pump, although that's possible but not probable.  Does it
>recover if you shift into neutral and rev it briefly a couple of
>times?

not instantly - and not always - but usually.  pumping the gas pedal seems to
be the biggest help.

>Is your overflow hose in good condition?

yes - replaced it a couple of months ago.  aside: after it has died (not
responding to gas pedal pumping), i've taken off the gas cap, but no sucking
or popping or anything untoward.

>Another shot in the dark:  Have you checked the charging system
>regulating voltage?  It should go up above 14 V with increasing rpm
>and then stop.  Where does yours stop?

haven't checked this for a few months since i replaced generator and
regulator.  i did however, put a new regulator in a couple of weeks ago just
to make sure.

i twiddled about with the 4 intake manifold to air distributor boots today
after dave suggested these may be leaking (they are old, and have absorbed
lots of oil, so it's very possible [do you have new ones of these jim?]).
also replaced most of the fuel injection hose (long after i should have....);
one piece may or may not have been leaking, so this can also only help.  car
drove home fine, but that was only for 10 or 15 mins, so hard to say for sure.
will post tomorrow after i (have to) go for a 150 mile drive....

(jim: you were right:) the tin around the injectors/intake manifolds that is
held on with slotted-head screws (why?) does seem like it will be troublesome
to remove when i replace the oil cooler seals.  what are anyone's
recommendations on removing these?

thanks everyone

sonny