Re: Distributor Questions

On 13 Aug 98, at 21:50, Stan Schaefer wrote:

> I've seen brake grease and cam lube on the hooks at the local chain
> auto parts places, so it's not rare, at least around here(Denver).  I
> never have seen the brake cylinder paste, the local VW dealership parts
> counter guy had to look it up, was $60 for a 40 gram tube.  I saw a
> reference to it in Bentley, was replacing brake cylinders at the time and
> was trying to do it the factory way.  Decided to make do with brake fluid.
>  How come it didn't work out for you?

I just didn't find that it offered anything special to suggest it
over any of the other brake lubes I have seen.  The price I paid was
considerably less, but I still have the full tube.  My switch to
silicone has made this whole concept moot, since I now use silicone
lubricants for rebuilding.

Did you mean that your were REBUILDING your brake cylinders?  There
would be no reason to do any of this if you were installing new
cylinders.

I guess I just haven't looked for the brake grease.

Jim