Re: [T3] Oil thermostat

On 12 Aug 98, at 15:26, oofacts@earthlink.net wrote:

> What I don't understand is exactly what the thermostat does. Does it cut
> you off from moving if the oil's too hot, or what? Is there some guage?

There is no "oil thermostat."  There is, however, a thermostat, and
it controls how much cooling air is admitted to the engine for
cooling, thus controlling the engine temp.  When the engine is cold
the thermostat closes a set of flaps so there is very little cooling;
as soon as the engine warms up to the proper temp the flaps open just
enough to maintain that temp.  In very hot weather they will be all
the way open, but in cold weather they will open only part way.

Jim