[T3] Air Control Thermostat

Now that my distributor questions are clearing up...
Just read up on the air control thermostat, which I don't have. Understand
it's function now: to control the air flaps to regulate cooling of the
engine.
I also understand that the thermo's for T3s are the same as for Bugs so I
shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.
But how does one install it? Bentley says alot about adjusting the flaps,
but I couldn't find anything about installing the thermostat.
I don't have to remove the engine do I? I haven't reached that grade yet.