Re: [T3] Brake Problems

On 11 Aug 98, at 7:07, Toby B wrote:

> Hmmm
> 	I'll freely concede the 'residual pressure' argument- I always thought
> that's what the adjuster was for!  But many systems do have them for the
> drums (Volvo 122, for example, has one in the equalizing valve to the
> rear drums)

Many early cars, including VWs, had them, but I'm not sure what the
purpose was, or even if there ever was a good, well thought out
purpose.  It is quite possible that the way these brakes operated was
improved by a bit of residual pressure.  I have always thought it was
telling that when VW introduced disk brakes they deleted the valves
even in the rear circuit, even though nothing else in that circuit
had changed.

> 	But I've always been told, and have always set, my rear, adjustable,
> drums to brush the drum slightly.  With new shoes, it makes sense, as
> there's a bit of wear as the shoe beds in.  And every time I work on the
> drums, I adjust 'em so they JUST brush. Enough resistance so that
> they'll check a free- spinning wheel in a turn or two, or three. Never
> had a problem with overheating yet...

With new shoes this is indeed a quandry.  I prefer to let them seat
in and then readjust in a couple of weeks.  The concern is that the
heat may cause things to expand in such a way that the rubbing gets
worse.  In the end any rubbing parts should wear away, so it just
becomes a matter of how much shoe you are willing to sacrifice, as
well as how much chance you are willing to take on brake failure.
Obviously, the less rubbing you have, the less likely you are to have
any trouble.

> 	On older disk setups, the wheel usually spins freely.  On more modern
> discs, tho, the caliper maintains a bit (similar to how I set the drums)
> of scuff.  I always figured it was to keep pedal travel to an absolute
> minimum.

I don't find that any calipers in good repair will ever drag, however
I seldom encounter calipers as old as ours that are still in that
good a shape.  One thing I do to check a brake system is to drive a
car for awhile, using the brakes as little as possible, then stop
gently and go around to all 4 wheels to feel the temp of the rotors
and drums.  Calipers and wheel cylinders that are becoming sticky
will produce drag that will burn your fingers.  A rebuilt brake will
not.  Keep in mind that some warmth is natural since you did just use
the brakes to stop the car.

PS- I'm sure you'd agree that changing your brake fluid every couple
of years is cheap life insurance!

Well, I have used Silicone Brake Fluid for over 18 years now and it
never requires changing.  For those who are still using DoT 3/4,
changing is essential.

Jim