Re: [T3] Brake Problems

<missed the original message, alas>
> VWBRIAN@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Help!!!! I've got a perplexing problem that I could really use some ideas as
> > to what it could be. The patient is a 1970 Squareback with an automatic
> > transmission. I can't get enough pressure out of the bleeders at the rear
> > wheels! I've replaced the wheel cylinders, the rubber hoses to both rear
> > wheels and "three" master cylinders. With the rear wheels off the ground and
> > idling in gear, the wheels won't lock up unless I pump the brake pedal three
> > or more strokes. I've bleed the system so many times that I've deleted the

Sounds like you are not getting the fluid to the rear wheels.  You've
replaced the rubber lines, and the cylinders.  but has you checked the
metal lines?

If memory serves, you have one metal line running fom the master
cylinder to the rear. Somewhere just behind the "battery compartment"
under the backseat (ie: outside the car!:) the line hits a T fitting, and
splits out into two more metal lines.  These lines connect to the rubber
lines...No.  Hmm.  Anyhow, hit the T, and split, probably to short
sections of metal line, then rubber, and then possibly metal
again....(been working on WAY to many different VWs of late...most recent
restringing brake line in a 79 Rabbit..whee)

anyhow.  Chances are, you have a kinked or clogged metal line.  Or perhaps
even the T fitting.  Disconnect the line at the MC, and at the wheel
cylinders.  Blow air through the line (if the only air-blowing device you
have is your mouth, wipe the end of the line good first, AFTER you've let
all the fluid drain out! and use a coth to cover the end anyway....;p )
and see if it seems to be clogged.  It'll be a rather obvious feeling.  If
so, try to disconnect at the T, and try again.  Basically, find out WHERE
the clog or kink is.

Soundslike the problem coversboth rear wheels, so it is likely in the long
section of line, or in the T.

have fun!:)

--
David Raistrick  '69 Westy-Itchigo			keen@finally.atlasta.net