RE: Distributor Questions

On 7 Aug 98, at 11:29, Park, Keith J (CRD) wrote:

> Ventilated points are the only way to go, they hold their adjustment MUCH longer.
> about $8

This is about the only thing Keith and I disagree on.  I have great
success with genuine Bosch parts and generally only throw ignition
parts away only when I find non-Bosch parts installed on a car that I
am working on.  I have never had a Bosch cap, rotor, or capacitor
fail on me.  I usually get 30-50K miles out of a set of Bosch points.

I have found that the most important thing to the longevity of the
points is that the dist cam be lubricated and that the cam be smooth.
On old distributors I usually find that the years of wear with dirty
grease has worn deep gouges in the cam these can eat up the rubbing
block on the points quickly.  When I rebuild a distributor, one of
the thing I always do is use a whetstone to smooth down the burrs on
the cam.  This improves the wear of the points immensely.

Jim