Re: [T3] HELP WITH OIL LEAK PLEASE

On 6 Aug 98, at 14:43, Renier Marais wrote:

> The PO fitted a type1 motor with the type1 oil filler etc.
> Now the T3 Haynes manual only talks about the breather, and I
> can't find anything on the T1 arangement. It looks like the oil
> is leaking from under the plate where you fit the four bolts of
> this filler. Hope you understand my not so technical explination!
> What I want to know is if there is supposed to be a gasket or
> pact or something here because mine fits directly onto the case
> and the bolts doesn't seem to fit correctly, and I go through a
> pint of oil a week.

On a type 1 engine that part is the generator stand/breather.  There
should be a special thin metal louvered plate between it and the
case.  This plate must be properly oriented in order to avoid
regurgitating splashed oil from the cam and distributor drive gears
on the crank.

The question of gaskets is an interesting one.  The microfilm shows a
gasket on each side of this plate, but if you do this it quickly
becomes clear that the studs are a little too short for this.  The
typical gasket sets have only one of these gaskets.  I'm not sure
about this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were no such
gaskets here when the engines were new.  I suspect that some good
gasket compound would do just fine here, but I would not leave out
the special louvered plate.

The situation with the special louvered plate and the gaskets is
exactly the same in both type 1 and type 3 engines.

Jim