Re: [T3] Oil cooler pondering

On 6 Aug 98, at 14:56, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> Question:  What if a Type IV oil cooler replaced the stock Type III oil
> cooler?
> This assumes that you would mold the cooling tin to the T4 cooler similar to
> the stock T3 configuration.

It seems to me that there is an implicit assumption here that more
cooling would be better for the engine.  In the case of a stock
engine (1600 cc) I don't think this is true.  For a much larger
engine there might be some merit, but I would be tempted to try using
a type 4 case instead.

> What's interesting is that the T1 channels some cooling air to the oil
> cooler
> where the waste heat is expelled into the atmosphere.  On our cars some of
> the
> waste heat is expelled into the atmosphere by the #3 exhaust (notice the
> vent/louver directly above the exhaust port in the cooling tin) but the rest
> continues around the bottom of the #3 & #4 cylinders before being
> discharged.

I thought the type 1 air distribution was the same as ours, but I'm
not really as familiar with that.  I suspect that if you really
needed more cooling then this larger cooler might give you some.

Jim