RE: [T3] Red light

They can be rebuilt.  Any starter/alternator shop can do it.  Or you can
just
exchange your generator for a rebuilt one at your local, VW-friendly auto
store.
 I think the Bentley even tells you how to do it but I wouldn't recommend it
unless you've got time, patience and Jim nearby ;)
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member