RE: whats wrong with my engine

Tuning the engine at one elevation, say sea level, then driving to a
different
elevation, say Jackson, will show engine variations.  This is the problem
with
carburetors and why fuel injection is so much better.

When going from a dense air mass (sea level) to a thinner air mass the
engine
will experience a lean condition.  It will experience a rich condition if
tuned
at a higher elevation and brought to a lower elevation.

Yes, you do need to retune the carbs.  If you don't it is possible to burn a

valve...ask me how I know.  For an engine a mile in elevation does make a
difference (hell, even for a human it makes a difference -- go for a run!).
    Toby Erkson
    '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
    '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member